Friday, January 7, 2011

Flappy hat

My daughter is recovering from an ear infection, so I wanted to make something to warm her head and protect her ears from the bitter winter wind.   

This was the result




Julie's Flappy Hat
I worked this hat with 2 strands of (Lion Homespun) yarn - worked together - and a size “N” hook

Chain 4 and sl st to form a ring, Ch 2
Rnd 1 - In the ring HDC 9 times, join w/ sl st to the first HDC, CH 2
Rnd 2 - 2 HDC in each stitch around, (join, ch 2 )
Rnd 3 - 2 HDC in the first stitch, 1 HDC in the next – (repeat , join, ch 2)
Rnd 4 - 2 HDC in the first stitch, HDC in the next 2 stitches - (repeat , join, ch 2)
Rnd 5 - 2 HDC in the first stitch, HDC in the next 3 stitches
Rnd 6 - 2 HDC in the first stitch, HDC in the next 4 stitches
Rnd 7 - 2 HDC in the first stitch, HDC in the next 5 stitches


  • change colors
Rnds 8-12
  • to make a sm/med sized hat (which is what I made) for rows 8-12 HDC in every stitch around increasing one stitch in each row by adding a second HDC to the starting stitch.
  • To make a med/lg hat, follow the 'increase pattern from above through row 10 and then just do the last 2 rows in HDC
For the ear flaps

First, I put the above cap on my DD and used a stitch marker to mark where her ears were on each side.
Then I counted our 4 stitches in front and back of that stitch (for a total of 9 stitches)
I joined my yarn at the start of the 9th stitch and.....

SC 9 stitches across, ch 1, turn
9 SC , ch 1, turn
9 SC , ch 1, turn
9 SC , ch 1, turn
9 SC , ch 1, turn
SC 2 together, SC 2 together, SC 2 together, SC 2 together, SC, Ch 1 , turn
5 SC , ch 1, turn
SC 2 together, SC 2 together, SC 1, ch 1 turn
3SC, ch 1 turn
SC 2 together, ch1, turn
SC the final 2 together, - pull yarn through and finish off.

To finish – I switched to a smaller needle (“I” maybe?) and just did a row of SC all the way around.

Ties
I just pulled three longer pieces of yarn through the ends of the flaps and braided them, then tied them off.

(I'd still like to put a pom pom on top, but the homespun yarn is too fuzzy.)
Time to go yarn shopping I guess.  :-)

***You could also increase the size of this hat by using a larger hook or by using DC instead of HDC, 
or decrease it by using a smaller hook and SC

No comments:

Post a Comment