Friday, February 26, 2010

How I learned to crochet...

I learned to crochet many years ago when I was a Girl Scout.
I learned how to make chains, how to slip stitch, and I think we learned the single crochet stitch.

When I was a teenager I taught myself the double crochet, and my own version of the half-double -(I didn't get that one quite right until I looked it up in a book!) But still - I could only go in straight lines, and I knew absolutely nothing about increasing or decreasing.
So I made lots (and LOTS) of: scarves, washcloths, baby blankets, afghans - and other things that are square or rectangular.

I looked longingly at crochet patterns, (especially the ones hanging on the yarn displays,) but all of the numbers and abbreviations intimidated me tremendously:
SC, HDC, DC, SL ST, CH, RND
And then some of them had charts for patterns - Good grief...those were WORSE!

It was like some weird, secret language that I couldn't comprehend.
I got books from the library and I tried to follow along, but the pictures often just confused me more.

But this past summer, (after drooling over the gorgeous creations on Etsy,)
I made a promise to myself that I would learn!

This book helped me tremendously

But I think the thing that helped me the most was watching videos on YouTube.
(Gotta love the internet sometimes) ;-)

Actually seeing a real live person demonstrate where to put the hook and how to do increases and decreases was invaluable to me.

And then I discovered amigurami. Oh.So.Cute.
So, putting it all into practice...I made my first creation.

It started as just a group of ball shaped objects...













But it became...Ollie!




























He was well received.
















And I ....was hooked.... (pun intended.) ;-)

4 comments:

  1. Oh Michelle, just noticing that your posting here now! Love the header btw! LOL

    I think I will try and teach myself how to crochet this summer when my hands are not so full with school and I actually get some of the sewing projects on my list crossed off! This book and some you tube sound like exactly what I need XD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eeeee! That is completely cute too!

    I only knew how to crochet one long piece of yarn. I would love to learn how to knit but just don't have the patience to teach myself. I think I need to ask around at church for some hands on instruction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am loving your posts! I just followed over from TWTM board and am printing patterns left and right. Great ideas. My 10ys son LOVES crocheting and we bought this book for him for Christmas. I'm glad to hear it was a good choice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Jenn,

    It really is a nice book - and I think it's GREAT that your son wants to learn!

    ReplyDelete