Monday, March 29, 2010

My inspiration

My next hats were made under much sadder circumstances.

A good friend of mine was diagnosed with leukemia the week after Christmas. 
Knowing that she would be going through chemo I wanted to send her something that would bring her comfort and warmth, and most importantly.... let her know that she was loved.

I wanted something soft and close-fitting, so I used Lion-Brand Homespun yarn and the Amelia pattern from YarnCat, and I made them in my friend's favorite colors...purple and blue.


I have discovered that this (easy) pattern is one of my all-time favorites.  It takes less than one skein of yarn, I can make one up in a few hours. I can dress it up or leave it plain, and it is pretty and cozy. 

Here are some more 'Amelias'  - (some I made with two colors worked together.)

Sadly.... my friend never had a chance to wear her Amelia hats.
She passed away just 3 short weeks after her diagnosis.  :-(

Now, I have been pondering starting a charity of sorts in her honor, and in honor of my own mother, (who also lost her battle with cancer many years ago.)


So...if and when I find the resources, (time and $ for supplies,) I hope to begin a ministry to donate these hats to those going through chemo and radiation.   
Right now it's only in the 'prayerful consideration' stage,
but I know that if the Lord wills it...it's bound to happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment